Chapter III

So little was Mr. Lars' enthusiasm for the task that his wife had set for him that when he arrived in town to hire servants and found two men already seeking him out for that very purpose, he was inclined to think himself very fortunate indeed to have the whole matter resolved so quickly.

"You have experience in this field of work, sirrah?" Mr. Lars asked.

"Dear me," replied Cecil Treypeo, "I have worked in the noblest houses of London. I assure you, sir, you'll not find a manservant more experienced! I can provide you with the names of several illustrious noblemen who will serve as references should you require further confirmation."

"I’m sure that will not be necessary. Do you have a talent for languages? Mrs. Lars is most desirous to employ a servant fluent in Bocce."

"My linguistic talents are unparalleled,"  Treypeo said proudly, "And the tongue to which you refer is one I have shown a particular affinity for."

"And your friend? A laborer by the look of him, no stranger to working with his hands and earning his bread with the sweat of his brow. What's his history?"

"An honest sailor, sir, whose character I can vouch for personally. I’ll own that he's a bit of the wild, adventurous sort, but his hard-work and service in His Majesty's Navy cannot be understated. Mr. Deetoo is a fine Englishman, and I quite literally owe him my life."

All this was perfectly agreeable to Mr. Lars, and a bargain was struck for the employment of the two men almost at once. The three returned to the Lars Homestead, where Mr. Lars placed the two new servants in the care of young Luke, instructing his ward to acquaint them with the grounds and their new duties. Naturally, the young man was filled with curiosity about the two newcomers who had come from lands abroad, and he found he had many questions to put to them.

"You've lived in London?" asked Luke eagerly, picturing the towers and crowds of that grand city which he had often longed to see.

"Indeed, sir,” replied Mr. Treypeo, “I've resided there most of my life, in the employment of several noblemen well-connected in Government."

This reply only further spurred the young man’s eagerness. "You have been involved in Politics? Are the rumors true of a Resistance to Napoleon's rule?"

"On matters such as these," sniffed Treypeo, "I have little to say. I make it a point of honor never to pry into the affairs of my employers. I joined my master at sea simply to serve him, without concerning myself in greater matters - as is entirely proper for man of my position."

"I have often longed to go to sea myself," said Luke with a sigh, "It is an occupation that I feel particularly suited for. Was it altogether very exciting?"

"It was wet, sir, and very cramped. It was not at all a suitable place for a gentleman of breeding and character such as yourself. I am glad to be rid of it. This quaint countryside and beautiful estate is much more suitable, I imagine, for us both."

"You surprise me!" said Luke, "And I cannot agree with your sentiments. Indeed, if there is a single bright center to all of England, then Tatooineshire is surely the remotest county from it. It is much better, surely, to be involved in the great adventure of things, to know of the excitements of life!"

"I have seen quite enough excitement for us both, Master Luke," Treypeo said, "And I assure you that I feel quite differently. Peace and quiet are not to be underestimated. I do not deny that the pleasures of London still hold an attraction for me – but this I have learned: tranquility, sir, is worth any price."

Arthur Deetoo, Threepeo's companion, whistled a jaunty sailor's tune with a wry look on his face, but whether he agreed or not with his friend's opinions it was impossible to say. Luke found himself curious about the sailor and studied him carefully. He was a short, stocky man with a weather-worn brown face. Luke could see exotic sailor's tattoos on his arms and peeking out from the collar of his shirt, which had the effect of making his appearance all the more strange and exciting.

"What is that you have there, sir?" he asked at last, pointing to a parchment peeping out of Mr. Deetoo's pockets. At once the sailor thrust his hand into the pocket, obscuring whatever it was that Luke had seen there.

"Dear me, Master Luke, I cannot imagine what you are referring to," said Mr. Treypeo.

"Your friend carries a very expensive looking parchment in his pocket," said Luke brashly, "A strange possession for a sailor, is it not?"

At this Mr. Deetoo spoke, but so thick was his sailor talk and so full of low words and strange phrases that Luke understood nothing. Mr. Treypeo, however, had grown accustomed to the strange dialect of sailors during his time at sea.

"He claims it is a private letter, sir, which he has been tasked to deliver to a gentleman of the area," Mr.  Treypeo translated, adding, "Frankly, sir, I cannot imagine what he means. It is the first I have heard of such a charge."

"Give it here," said Luke, but Mr. Deetoo shook his head stubbornly.

"Arthur, I'm surprised at you!" exclaimed Mr. Treypeo, "Master Luke is our new employer, and we owe him all due respect and obedience!"

For a moment it seemed that Arthur Deetoo would persist in his refusal. His jaw was stubbornly set, but he studied young Luke carefully and at last seemed to reconsider his resolution. With reluctance the short man withdrew the parchment, which did indeed prove to be a letter, folded and sealed with wax. On the outside cover it had been addressed in a flowing and feminine hand. The whole effect of the letter was one of great importance, and Luke felt instinctively that it had been written by a person of great note and contained matters of no small urgency. Arthur would not consent to allow his new employer to handle the document himself, but instead presented it for his closer inspection. Peering closely, Luke could make out what had been written on the exterior.

To Sir Benjamin Kenobi, OBE-1, General (ret.), and Master of the Noble Order of J.
Jundland Cottage, Anchorhead, Tatooineshire.


"Do you know the gentleman referred to here, Master Luke?" inquired Treypeo, noting the look of surprise from the young man as he read the name.

"I cannot say that I am acquainted with the man," Luke replied, "But I know of him, or I much mistake myself. There is an old gentleman of the name Kenobi who does indeed reside at the Jundland Cottage, but I had no idea he was a person of such importance or of such high connexion! Indeed, my uncle has spoken nothing but ill of the man and holds him in complete disregard. Do you know who wrote this letter?"

Mr. Deetoo let out a string of unintelligeble sentences.

"Oh, really, Arthur. There's no need to lie!" Mr. Treypeo said, "He claims, sir, that a woman who was a passenger aboard our late vessel along with my former master put it into his care."

"And who was she?" Luke asked. He stared with fascination at the flowing curves of the script upon the letter, admiring the strong and confident angles of each letter.

"We were never informed exactly who she was, sir, and it was made clear that her identity was to remain anonymous. From this I gathered she was a woman of great nobility and importance. I cannot imagine why a lady of her character and station would take a lowly sailor such as Mr. Deetoo into her confidence and entrust him with such a seemingly important task." He peered at his companion suspiciously.

"I shall speak to my uncle about this letter," Luke said, "Though I suspect he will not be pleased to do any favors for Mr. Kenobi."

Arthur Deetoo protested in strong terms.

"We shall speak of it in the morning," Luke insisted, and thought the matter quite resolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment